Tamarillos - Fruit for Life from New Zealand, About Tamarillos, Recipes, Nutritional Information > How to use > Things to try
Things to try
- Slice raw, peeled tamarillos and decorate flans, cakes, cheesecakes and pizza.
- Add whole peeled tamarillos to a casserole or any dish (in the same way you would tomatoes).
- Try wedges of red and golden tamarillo with a cheese-board.
- Make an awesome sandwich with fresh wholemeal bread, cottage cheese and slices of peeled tamarillo.
- Toss peeled and sliced tamarillos through salad greens.
- Add a couple of peeled tamarillos to stewed apples – the perfect breakfast fruit or quick desert when served with custard.
- Sliced tamarillo sprinkled with a little salt is delicious on a cracker or toast.
- For an instant desert, cut the tamarillo in half, dust with icing sugar and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon. Yum! Add some ice-cream for extra extravagance.
- Halve tamarillos, top with garlic butter and grill.
- Puree and sieve poached tamarillos – drizzle over deserts, grilled chicken, pork or fish.
- Dice tamarillo and avocado, add a little chopped chilli and onion for an awesome salsa.
- Spread a pizza base with sweet chilli sauce and top with slices of peeled tamarillo and green pepper, finely chopped bacon, and blobs of sour cream. Garnish with fresh coriander – devine!
- Pureed tamarillo makes an excellent marinade adding flavour and tenderising the meat.
- Tamarillos make great preserves, jams, chutneys, jellies, relishes, sauces and marmalades.